Wednesday 13 March 2013

Tools For the Job - Part 2

Jamie's own invention: the Flavour Shaker.
(Yes, I chose a pic of a green one deliberately.)
 After serving a few years in my kitchen, my trusty blue knife, though I loathed to admit it, was losing its edge. I was ignorant as to how to go about sharpening it so I decided that it was perhaps time for a new one. It was off to IKEA! There I bought a sharpening steel and a brand new chef's knife. (Mum started sweating.) It looked like the real deal and I couldn't wait to use it. I got home and started undoing it in the kitchen but, you won't believe this, I cut myself on the packaging! Now, if the packaging of the knife cuts you then the knife itself must be quite something. It was not to be long before I learnt this. 
It's up to you; you choose.
 I decided that I would wait until I had perhaps acquired better knowledge of how to utilise such a fearsome tool before using it but my curiosity got the better. My Mum and I were preparing dinner for which I was slicing potatoes. I thought, "Why not give that knife a go?" So I did. Boy, was it sharp! I started dicing an onion but the knife slipped and sliced a good way through my middle finger about a centimetre from the tip. Half of the cut was straight through the nail! It bled a good deal and I had to have my hand elevated for a few days to allow it to heal but the lesson was learnt: I needed to know how to use a knife properly and quick. (Technically, I should have listened to my Mum, who had hid the knife.)

 Just over a month later, we had a family come and stay. Their Dad was the guy I worked for at the BCDO. Being a professional chef for many years, I told him about my accident and so he taught me how to correctly use knives and many other things too but we'll get to that later. I showed him the new knife and even he said it was really good! With my new skills, I felt much more confident in the kitchen and could work much more efficiently. To date, I have not had any other accidents with knives in the kitchen.

Just another day...
...at the office!
 Agas. I spent a year working with one and I have to say that I didn't necessarily enjoy the experience. Looking back now, I can see its pros but it was just my ignorance that limited me from getting the best out of it. Our aga was brilliant for bread and baking stuff but the oven just wasn't that big. However, because it is on all the time, put any bread that you want proving near it and that certainly does the job.
This particular item is not exactly a
kitchen necessity.
Slugs and snails and puppy dog's tails!
 Recently, I was able to purchase a knife block, another chef's knife and a small santoku knife which are all great and the knife block can fit all my other knives in too which was not necessarily expected. Even more recently, my Grandad gave me a combination lock briefcase when we last visited them. He told me to open it. Inside is a knife collection including things like a steel, six steak knives and meat scissors. I was well chuffed as if ever we're going on holiday, I like to take with me my favourite kitchen stuff so the briefcase will certainly make things easier.
A santoku knife in case you were wondering
what one was. I have one of these smaller ones.
 I shall conclude this post by stating that your tools are only as good as the brains behind them. Hone your skills; read some books, get on the Internet and then practically apply what you learn. There is no limits nowadays to resources for learning so make use of them. A good cook lies within all of us!

Seasoned with Caution,

Jacob

P.S. Click here to see a list of things that Jamie recommends that your kitchen should possess.






"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment