Sunday 5 May 2013

Marmite - "Love it or hate it..."

Why not write and tell me?
 Personally, I love this black, jarred goo but that might have a lot to do with the fact that it was one of my Mum's cravings when she was pregnant with me. I would have it on hot, buttered toast any time of day. Whenever I've done a long car journey where leaving before breakfast is necessary, it would always be Marmite sandwiches made the day before and fridged over night. The butter and Marmite almost combine for a peculiarly delicious, alternate breakfast. You may be thinking, "This is strange coming from someone who aspires to be a chef," but I've had those ever since I can remember and still love it today.
It isn't as bad as might think...
 If you are unfamiliar with this wonderful spread, Marmite was first created by Justus von Liebig in the 19th century originally made from concentrated, brewer's yeast. It derives its name from a french word for a large, lidded pot which is still featured today on all Marmite labels. With the first batches being made in 1902, it took only until 1907 for need of another factory. The Marmite fever was spreading... (Ignore the pun.)
 There are other products similar to Marmite such as Bovril which I also like very much. Both Bovril and Marmite can be used to make hot drinks (which you may associate with cold football games) and a teaspoon or two works a treat in soups, stews, casseroles, etc. If you live in Australia then you will probably be more familiar with another one of Marmite's cousins, Vegemite though I can't say I've tried that as yet and apparently it is decidedly different from Marmite.

Definitely better out of a jar
 Marmite's flavour is certainly an acquired taste. A friend of the family, who is Indian, enjoys very, very hot food, however, my Dad offered him a small amount of Marmite on a teaspoon. Amusingly enough, he found Marmite to be completely unpalatable yet my youngest siblings enjoy its indescribable flavour immensely.
This made me smile!
 A few years ago, my Mum gave me the challenge of writing a description of what Marmite tastes like and a challenge it was. I would like to give all you guys the same challenge and see what we come up with. Due to its seemingly controversial nature, I would also love to hear your opinions as I am sure they are many and diverse. Comment below and send your thoughts to onedeliciousman@gmail.com right now!


 Helpful Hint - Do you get frustrated sometimes with how difficult it can be to spread it on your toast? After a while, we developed a method so that it doens't end up all over your fingers and drizzling over your worktops: spin it around your knife before spreading... 







"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

5 comments:

  1. Haha, I love marmite. My brothers have it with peanut butter on toast, but I prefer it on its own (on toast.) My Dad got my gold marmite the other week and it actually has gold sparkles in it. It's cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is exactly what I'd hoped to hear; something different. I've never tried it with peanut butter! Will certainly give that a try...

      Keep the comments coming!

      Delete
    2. Wow, marmite and peanut butter together was actually surprisingly pleasant and met with many positive comments from those who sampled it!

      Thank you Jasmine

      Delete
    3. Cool! Um I hate peanut butter, but for those who love it that's great :P and I can see why it would be nice. Haha.

      Delete
    4. You don't like peanut butter? Oh boy, it looks like I may have to do a post on that sometime...

      Delete