Friday 17 May 2013

A Few Thoughts on Barbecued Food

If you are vegetarian then this post is probably not for you...
Wow, at last BBQ season can finally begin! I absolutely love a good cookout with family and friends, football and the barrage of intoxicating smells and tastes of the grill. Some of the best ever barbeques I've ever had were in the States and if you have also been then I'm sure you will agree. Everything is bigger over there and that includes the meat portions!
Would you have guessed
that Shropshire Blue is made
 in Scotland?
 Over time, I've learned that it is often the little things that can make a cook out special. Marinade your meat (send me an email or comment below if you want some recipes) or use some blue cheese for example. Grated blue cheese and mushrooms on a steak just before taking it off the grill is one of the most delicious ideas for a BBQ and I highly recommend anybody trying that. I don't even like blue cheese that much but when used with other flavours in that way, it really is something else. For the ladies, apparently grilled bell peppers on skewers can be the highlight but I would tend to disagree... Also, make your own buns. Seriously, it might sound like it isn't worth the hassle but it really isn't difficult or time consuming. Lightly brush them with single cream and sprinkle on some sesame seeds before cooking and you are away. (Use the bread recipe in the posts  'Authentic As You Like Pizza' or even 'Mediteranean Flat Bread' for some really interesting burger buns.)
This also makes me laugh.
Creature Comforts, "We need the
fresh meat..."
Put a delicious spin on your cheese burger
 My Dad is a keen griller and so I've learned a few things over time from him. One of the things that he will forever stress is that fish does not belong on the grill (however the ladies disagree) and I agree to a certain extent with both parties though sometimes there are a few exceptions either way. Other things like never flipping burgers/patties to the side but rather front to back. This way you never lose a burger through the grill which always was a problem for me...
 Now, I can remember the first BBQ that I did by myself and it was for my 13th birthday - I was the man! Can anyone else explain to me why standing in front of a grill full of meat over coals gives a guy that amazing sense of fulfilment? I've seen half a dozen grown men gathered around one BBQ watching another guy turn sausages! What is up with that? Is it some kind of natural instinct within a man to want to prepare and cook meat for his family? You tell me.
 If you are interested in some brilliant videos on BBQ food then click on the links at the bottom of this post.

...dodgy apron! 
And yet another...




 Seasoned with Jollity,

 Jacob





"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator  
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment