Sunday 1 September 2013

Thanksgiving in England

 Wow, where to start? Now, I live in England but I've been to America a few times in my life and visited a fair number of States. If you've also been, then you will know that the American culture differs so much and the food along with it. However, when it comes to the last Thursday of November every year, the menu is pretty clear cut. A ginormous turkey, basted with love and jammed full of pork and apple stuffing; sweet cornbread, buttery mashed potato, glazed veggies galore and everything topped with gravy and cranberry sauce. It can't get much better. That's before we've started on the pies, everyone! Maple and pecan, pumpkin, sweet potato, chocolate black-bottom... I'd better stop, my keyboard is getting wet.
 So, for the first time, my family and I decided to do a "pucka" Thanksgiving dinner last year but I've sorely neglected to do a post on it since. It was absolutely brilliant fun and I thoroughly enjoyed making every single bit of it. Some things I'd never done before like the cornbread. It's so easy! There are so many things you can do with cornbread but this is how I did it.
I know, I know! This one creeps me out!
Many thanks to my wonderful photographer...

 RECIPE:

 Time: 30 mins

 Serves: 8-10

 1) Preheat your oven to 200 degrees c. and grease a tin well. (I used a 26 cm. cake tin.) 
 2) Throw a cup of plain flour, a cup of yellow corn meal, 2/3 cup of sugar, one teaspoon and two teaspoons of baking powder into a mixer. Mix in one egg, one cup of milk and 1/3 cup vegetable oil until all well combined and then pour into a your prepared tin.
 3) Bake for 20-25 minutes and then test with a toothpick. (If it comes out clean your good!) 

Handy Hint - It might not be orthodox but while it's still hot, drizzle with maple syrup!


Along with the turkey, I also did about sixty
"pigs in blankets"!





 Jamie has plenty of fantastic recipes influenced by his explorations with American food and Thanksgiving is no exception. Smoked streaky bacon pan fried in butter and olive oil with sage leaves and shredded brussels. Grate in some garlic and add a good glug of Wocestirshire sauce. Toss and cook for ten minutes and there you have it! Just one of his ideas for a side dish that he likes to call "Brussels with Hustle"! Awesome.
 Anyhow, after all of that, I think everyone agreed that we might do Thanksgiving again sometime! Personally, I hope that when Thanksgiving comes around again we can actually have it in the States. I wonder how feasible that is...

Seasoned with Prospect,



Jacob
My delicious golden cornbread...

...and my brother Zac (Zaxon Carpentry) won the "most-amount-of-food-on-a-plate" competition!



 P.S. If you ever need any ideas for your own Thanksgiving meal this year then by all means leave a comment below, I'll do my best to help. Also, if you have tips/recipes/stories that you might like to share on your own Thanksgiving experiences then why not write to me now at onedeliciousman@gmail.com to have your very own post on my sister site, YourBlog!.




"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment