Saturday 8 March 2014

High Tower Ranch - Part 1

Welcome to the Ruby Valley!
 Having departed from Deer Lodge the following morning, (a bald eagle flew right over head as I hit the road) it was time to drive south again to the Ruby Valley. Man, is this place beautiful. Mountains all around, green pastureland and herds and herds of black cattle. This is unquestionably real cowboy country and so that means cowboy food. Good, honest, country home-cooking.
...unfortunately Frank couldn't come.
Say "Hi," to Patty...
 I had the pleasure of staying at High Tower Ranch (a real ranch!), hosted by the amazingly kind and hospitable Steve and Carol who also run a B&B (which gets 5+ stars!). Carol's kitchen, I could tell from just walking in, was the HQ for some prodigious cooking. She has a professional background in catering and even ran a confectionery bakery at one point so, to say the least, filled with wisdom regarding food! Just look at her herb draw...
Prepping the potato salad
Now, that's a cool draw!
 I was greeted with homemade cookies while venison burgers were made and grilled up. These burgers were just gorgeous! I personally love a good burger because of the amazing cacophony of flavours that they can posses, especially ones that you've made from scratch. I had the privilege of making the potato salad. Personally, I've never been a great fan of it but this was absolutely delicious. Seeing, step by step, what goes into a dish often helps. In fact, this often will make you appreciate most things. 
Home-made, blueberry muffins
Bacon and fresh fruit
Considering this is what I had for
breakfast the previous morning...
 The next morning I woke up to a harmony of smells that all men know and love. Breakfast. But not just any breakfast. Carol had baked muffins, fried eggs, brewed coffee, prepared fresh fruit, and griddled bacon and fresh pancakes. I know you can smell this as you're reading! Guys, no question, this was absolutely, hands down, without a doubt, the best ever breakfast of the trip and, from just stepping into the kitchen that morning, immediately entered the top five breakfasts of my life! I am living proof that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. 
My abundant thanks, Carol, this
meal is a precious memory
 However, allow me to share one piece of wisdom that I have learned on my journey with food so far. The single most important reason as to why this breakfast will forever stick in my mind was the love and kindness with which it was prepared. I cannot emphasise this enough: love, guys, is the seasoning that always comes through the strongest in any dish so use it and don't be sparing! It's free!

Stay tuned for Part 2...

















Steve, playing host and doing a spectacular job. If ever you have the chance to meet Steve, ask him to do his Daffy Duck impersonation. It's priceless!


I know, I know. They're very green but I'm yet to appreciate pickles...


Manly moment #1 (See next post for #2)







  





"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment