Thursday 14 February 2013

How to Get the Goods

Guess where I'm shopping...
 To get good quality products to work with you may be thinking that you're going to have to spend monster amounts of money. Well, if you are looking at buying white truffles then it's kind of inescapable, however, shop around a bit. Try veg stalls at markets, get pally with the dude behind the stall and build a relationship with your local butcher. Just having a bit of a friendly chat with people sometimes leads to being given discount prices plus it really brightens up their day. How do I know? I've been both sides of the stall. (I have a lot of admiration for anybody who gets up that early to stand out in the the cold and rain for a living).
 I shop regularly at Lidl as you may have guessed. Seriously, Lidl is cheaper than most cash-and-carries. Those places are only cheap if you are used to buying name brands which don't really bother me but quality, however, does. I've tried loads of different pastas, olive oils, bread flours, etc, and nothing really does the job better.
It's so much more fun at a market
 Everyone is on a budget these days but I want to prove to you that you can still cook good, nutritional, tasty, fun food though funds may be tight. It just takes a wee bit of exploring, putting your nose about a bit. Jamie encourages to really get in there at markets and have a grope and feel of whatever products you're looking at. Keep season in mind too as some fruit and veg is much better and more plentiful at certain times of the year.








"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment