Thursday 25 April 2013

Chocolate Mousse or Chocolate Moose?

Jamie sure knows how to do it!


 Now we are talking! Boy was this amazing. If you have read the Creme Brulee post I did not long ago, you will know that I mentioned making a chocolate mousse sometime. Well, I did.
 I read in a Gino Dicampo book just how simple it is to make a good chocolate mousse and knew that this would be the next thing to try. My older sister bought me a book which contains thirty of Julia Child's most famous recipes with her chocolate mousse being one of them too so I thought, "Why not?" Apparently the secret to this is good quality chocolate that isn't too strong as that does not combine as well. I'm not too cluey on the science there but it's something like that.




Time: 15 mins, 3 hrs chilling

Serves: 5-6

RECIPE:

Man, is this stuff good!
 1) Separate two eggs with the yolks going into a heatproof bowl and the whites into any bowl with two tbsp of golden caster sugar. In a pyrex bowl over a saucepan of near boiling water, melt 75g of dark chocolate and then add that and the rind of half an orange to the yolks. Combine together and then squeeze in some of the orange juice. Have a taste and add as you will. If you are feeling adventurous then add a tsp or two of Cointreau. When the desired flavour has been achieved, place the bowl back on the saucepan but not on the heat. This will keep your mixture easy to work with.
 2) Whisk together the whites and sugar until shiny but don't over whisk. Fold the two together carefully and then pour into martini glasses. Chill for three hours in a fridge until set. To garnish, you can use orange peel or gold leaf. Now go have some you time!


"Hmm, dushdy doo. Here's
the chocolate mooshey."
Who doesn't enjoy melting
chocolate?
 Do you want to have a few seconds of point-and-laugh at me? I peeled a piece of orange peel to chop finely for garnishing but I peeled it over the glass that I was about to garnish. There I was searching around the glass for the piece of peel to discover that it had splatted into the mousse. Yeah, it was a hair-pulling moment. Now, a good chef is made by his or her ability to take a real pooped-on situation and turn everything around using whatever means available so I thought hard for a second. The piece of peel that had landed in the mousse had a definite shape to it so I thought that maybe if I mirrored it, it might just look like an orange peel butterfly. I don't know, what do you think? (See above.) Leave a comment below.

 If the proof of the pudding is in the tasting then this one definitely did just that. Everyone could not stop stating how amazing it was. It was pretty good if I say so myself. Chocolate and orange is one of my all time favourite combinations too for those who would care to know. (Boxes of chocolates can be posted to...)

Seasoned with Self-control

Jacob  


P.S. For some reason this clip always makes me laugh...








"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment