Wednesday 17 April 2013

Diner Style Baked Potatoes with Bacon and Cheese

Vintage vinyl, red leather and chrome, the sound of a jukebox...and this
 Most everyone loves a good jacket spud and I and my family are no exception. Usually jackets, you'll find, are served with beans and cheese, tuna mayonnaise, chilli even, however, I really wanted to try something a little different and experiment a bit. I was looking for new recipes on the web and came across one for "Texan Jackets" which used a baked potato, bacon, salad, etc, so I thought why not go with that kind of retro, American diner theme? I didn't use a recipe at all but just made it up as I went along using principles. (I do that quite a bit come to think of it.) I was going to be making this for quite a few people so my photographer had to pitch in a bit but the end result was delicious. Give it a try and tell me what you think! Visit Your Blog! to contact me.


Only two trays of baked potatoes to do...
 Time: 2hrs

 Serves: 1-21 (the recipe can be adapted easily)

 RECIPE:

 1) Preheat your oven to around 250 and scour, prick and score a spud for each person. Rub the spuds all over with olive oil and rock salt/salt flakes, sprinkle a little cayenne and paprika and place them in a tray Pop the tray in the oven while you prepare to make the fillings and toppings.
Crispy skins waiting to be
filled
"Go on, my son!" Ignore the apron
 2) Take a red and a white onion and dice finely before caramelising* them in a pan with a knob of butter and olive oil, a pinch of thyme, salt, pepper and a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar. Leave to cool. In a large bowl mix together creme fraiche (work on 30ml per person) a little lemon rind, a teaspoon of lemon juice, a handful of grated cheese and a sprinkle of basil. (Add sweetcorn too for an American texture.) Season to taste and then add the cooled onions.
 3) Apparently the best way to do bacon is to bake it so that is what I did. Rub the bottom of a tray with a little olive oil, distribute the bacon and place in your oven. Remove when cooked but still pink and set aside.
 4) When your spuds are done, slice in half, scoop out the soft middle, though carefully so that the skin stays undamaged, and mash in a separate bowl with a fork. Combine with the creme fraiche mixture and return to the skins. Place a slice of bacon over each half, grate over some parmesan and place in the oven again. When the bacon and cheese starts browning, remove and serve with buttered peas, onion rings, salad, a grilled and buttered corn, etc; you choose, your the boss.



Not quite but you get the idea anyway



 *There is a huge difference between sweating, sauteing and caramelising. When it comes to caramelising, patience is the key. Don't be hasty but let the onions cook slowly on a medium heat until they really start browning up. This gives the onions a beautiful, sweet flavour. If you can practice getting the distinction between these three when in the kitchen then already your cooking has gone up a huge level.




 Seasoned with Curiosity,


 Jacob


 P.S. Can anyone guess what I shall be doing with the surplus potatoes today? If not then see Leftovers - Indian Style Potatoes with Flavoured Yogurt.







"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 

of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

2 comments:

  1. Hmm... looks delicious! I've always wanted to try something like this, but never got round to it! We did try stuffed onions though. Yum. God bless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do give it a try sometime and tell me all about it. Funny, I've been meaning to try those! Maybe I'll do a post on those sometime... Thanks for the comment!

      Delete