Monday 26 August 2013

Rosie's Stay - Catering for Those with Intolerances

 Every now and then, I get a new challenge; something to make me think outside the box a little. Now, I love challenges so the opportunity to cook for a friend who has a few intolerances was great fun. Rosie, whose YourBlog! post you may have read, (See "Rosie's Crazy Chewy Cookies") came to stay for a bit. She is intolerant to: 
  1. wheat, 
  2. gluten, 
  3. barley, 
  4. MSG, 
  5. lactose, 
  6. celery,
Slice up the breasts and finely chop
the coriander and garlic...
and, as she put it, "has a passionate dislike for asparagus." (I'm going fix that though.) So, with this in mind, I had to cook accordingly. At first the 'no lactose' was problem but goats milk and olive oil spread soon fixed that.
...and fry in my secret Indian spice
mix
 Chilli con-carne with rice, baked potatoes, stuffed peppers with tikka chicken all went down well and when it came to pasta, Rosie introduced me to a pack of fusilli made from sweetcorn. I hadn't really explored these different avenues properly so this little education to me was fascinating. Sweetcorn pasta is really easy to cook, works exactly the same and tastes just fine. (I can't say the same for potato based bread yet...) 
Chicken-tikka stuffed roasted peppers
 With this pasta I did a tuna salad which is really easy and incredibly tasty. In fact, I was able to make this in the time it took to set the table for dinner! Have your pasta boiling while you empty two tins of tuna in sunflower oil (not brine) into a bowl with a tin of sweetcorn and chop up, all about the same size, some cucumber, cherry tomatoes and half each of a red and green apple. (Most varieties work.) Mix together with a little salt and pepper and serve with the pasta! A squirt or two of mayonnaise is welcome, it all depends on what you like.
My simple cheat risotto
 I also did an Indian roasted peppers stuffed with rice and my tikka-chicken which I've never, ever done before but I think it went OK save the fact that Rosie doesn't like peppers... While I was cooking, I also roasted some garlic cloves which I personally quite like and so offered one to Rosie whose expression was precious. Yeah, she really didn't like it!
 One of my favourite meals I did for her was a cheat "risotto" with chicken, bacon, pea and caramelised red onion. It was one of those "miracle meals" because it sounds fairly average, maybe even bland but seriously, this was the best dish I did and Rosie enjoyed it most too!
 If you want the recipes to any of the dishes mentioned above then leave a comment below and I'll my best to see what I can do for you.

Seasoned with Revelation,

Jacob


P.S. Since the writing of this post, Rosie, after a two month trial, has discovered that she is not intolerant to lactose!



















"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

No comments:

Post a Comment