Saturday 10 August 2013

The Failure Birthday Cake That Worked

Chocolate buttons and strawberry icing
Charis's five-minute decorating
 Here is another excellent chance to have a good laugh at my imbecility. My sister, Charis, and I were making a birthday cake for one of my younger sisters who was about to turn nine. At first we had everything planned out for a simple sponge to work with; cream butter and sugar, combine eggs (important bit right there) sift in flour, etc. It was going to look fabulous but then we were met with the first of many challenges: no cupcake cases. That scuppered the first plan so, after a quick rethink, we came up with a new one and decided to create a three layer sponge. That was going okay until my pop-up tin started leaking in the oven... I had no choice but to leave it and wait for it to start cooking, knowing that it would eventually stop. I left Charis in charge to take the sponges out when cooked as I had to dash off. 
All smiles. Going well at this point...
Egg shell...
 Meanwhile, Charis and another little sister who is four started assembling and icing the cake in my absence as planned. It was simple enough to do and they both did really well. However, and this is the painful bit: Charis had neglected to put the jam between the three layers... Guys, we're talking a beautiful three layer sponge birthday cake without the jam! I couldn't believe it! Seriously, I wasn't mad about it, it was really funny actually...but there was no jam! It was just such a shame. At least it looked okay on the outset. 
 But, this is the worst bit. A beautiful three layer sponge birthday cake without the jam isn't going to harm anything save maybe a little pride, right? However, egg shell can be hazardous, correct? So, compared to me managing somehow to leave egg shell in the mixture, Charis's tiny, little mistake is nothing, right? Charis and I were cutting the cake and there it was. At least two pieces of evidence were discovered believe it or not. The issue of neglecting to put jam between the layers was all of a sudden paled into insignificance.
Yeah, Charis. "Oops-a-daisy!"
Oh, poop!
 So, after all that, I made the bummer. Humbling, yes, but hugely hilarious. However, it all worked out okay though as the birthday girl while eating her cake smiled at Charis and I and said, "Thanks for not putting the jam in. I've never really liked jam in the middle."

  "Aaaaagh!"







Seasoned with Irony,

Jacob

"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha! At least forgetting the jam is far better than inadvertently replacing it with redcurrant jelly... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Flossie,

      I'm glad you like the post. Redcurrant jelly? Oops...

      Delete