Thursday 1 August 2013

Hot Enough to Fry an Egg?

And I thought us Brits had some strange traditions!
 So, summer is here. For me, summer so far has been filled with cooking new stuff and cooking normal stuff...just differently. Outside it's been lovely and hot so the patio and drain cover heated up quite nicely. The heat gave me a brainwave: why not see just how hot this thing is...with an egg? Of course, everyone knows that concrete sidewalks only get up to around 145 degrees Fahrenheit and that for an egg to cook it needs a temperature of 158+ degrees Fahrenheit in order for the proteins in the egg to denature (modify) and then coagulate but I thought it would be fun to try anyhow which it was until I forgot about it! (See video.)
 I found this out afterwards. Believe it or not, an annual Solar Egg Frying Contest is held in the city of Oatman, Arizona! Within 15 minutes you must attempt to cook an egg using only natural solar power. Bizarre. Apparently, the best surface to try cooking an egg outside on is the bonnet of your car but I'm not about to go and risk that I don't think...
Anyway, my video!

From this...
...to this


"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

2 comments:

  1. Eww... Well you did about as good as a guy I saw on tv who tried to fry an egg in the Death Valley, California (I think that was where it was)and it didn't really work there either. :P Enjoy your sunny weather! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was never going to work properly, it was just for fun. I did see the video you're referring to and I'm pretty sure that chap's egg would have worked much better had he cracked it straight on a rock but there we go. God bless!

      Delete