Friday 4 October 2013

A Week in Minnesota - Part 3

Whoopee day! Now, I could do with one
of these at home!
Victim of the "bunny ears"
 Besides the mini-barns, I got to help one of the other guys on the farm so I had the chance drive a bright green (not pink, see a hilarious Tim Hawkins brilliant music video hereJohn Deere tractor and a semi-truck. Great fun! Also, outside of cooking, I played American football which I really enjoy playing but just don't know enough about it so being able to play properly was brilliant. 
Making a mocha roulade
 Back to food. OK, so the next stuff I had a hand in making were three huge mocha roulades. I've never made a roulade before in my life but always wanted to try. We had to separate a whole bunch of eggs first so I demonstrated a little cheat I'd learned. It's not especially fast but it pretty much stops any chance of dropping yolk in your whites. (See photos below.) Anyhow, the end result was very popular the next day so we must have done a good job!
 Now, I know being a chef might not be considered by many the most "manly" of vocations and so I do get a bit of teasing from other guys. I seriously don't mind as it is really funny...and I also know how to exact my revenge! I make them put on an apron, I teach them how to cook and they end up liking it. Ta, da! For instance, I gave a small lesson on few knife skills which I always love doing.
Look at all these green peppers
 On the last evening I was there, a "Pizza Party" had been planned. I was going to help out with that too but was convinced to come play American football by the guys instead. The pizza was absolutely fantastic, seriously good! Along with brownies and the mocha roulade, scones had been made also and they received a few "thumbs up". As all the girls had made the food and usually do the clean up operation, the guys did the washing up which was real laugh!

Teaching knife skills
 Good food and music seem to go hand in hand and that evening was no exception. I played a few acoustic songs but the real treat of the evening was hearing some of the younger people sing a few songs acepella which I really do like, it takes a talented voice to do it. The singing was followed by volleyball which I'm seriously no good but it is such good fun to play!
Playing music that evening
 I had to leave the next day which was very sad but I know I can look back on the time spent here with the fondest of memories. I discovered new recipes, made new friends and now have new stories to tell. I can't say thank you all enough for how hospitable and accommodating you made me feel during my stay. You've certainly all found a very special place in my heart and I look forward to the next time we are able to meet.

Seasoned with Memories,

Jacob


Playing 'flag' American Football. I'm close on the left with the green baseball cap

The scones...
...were well received!
Teaching knife skills. Always rewarding!


Playing late-night, indoor volleyball

Well, after all that, this sign in town pretty much said it all



"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly




No comments:

Post a Comment