Sunday 20 October 2013

"Cracker Barrel"!

 Oh, boy. I'm a sucker for proper, country, old-school, home cooking so when I went to "Cracker Barrel that's what I got! After staying in Big Sky for a few days, it was time to again head north. It was a bit of a shame as I'm going to miss the surroundings...and that hot tub.
The view from that wonderful hot tub
 Believe it or not, snow had been forecast for the day I left. It didn't amount to anything but it was snowing! Drove up to Butte, Montana, "...singin', Lord, I was born a rambling man," (see Rascal Flatt's song, 'Me and My Gang') and then on to Missoula where the snow already lay... 
 Long drives have this tendency of making you hungry so locating a good restaurant is usually priority after checking into the motel. This evening's choice: "Cracker Barrel". I've been to a "Cracker Barrel" before when I was younger and was looking forward to going again but I just couldn't help myself but laugh when I went in. It's all Tim Hawkins' fault! Have a watch of the video above maybe after you've been for lunch.
 "What did you order?" you might ask. Well, they do this really cool mix+match deal in their menu called 'Country Dinner Plates' where they first give you a load of main dishes. You can get the regular gubbins like fried chicken and stuff but there's a good few different options, ie, Deep Fried Farm-Raised Catfish Fillets, Hickory Smoked Country Ham and Grilled Chicken Livers. You then choose two sides out of things like mash potato, coleslaw, pinto beans, cheese grits, turnip greens, corn-on-the-cob, etc. This way, you get to choose whatever combination you fancy at the time!
My delicious meal at "Cracker Barrel"!
 For a main I chose their Half-pound Chopped Steak and after having the hash browns at Granny's in Cody (see previous post 'Yellowstone National Park and Country Fried Steak') I thought that a hash brown casserole sounded delicious. It's grated cheese, onions and potato fried as a patty. Delish! When I saw that Mac 'n' Cheese was a side option, I thought, "Oh, yeah!" Don't ask me why, I just really fancied it and boy was it good too.
 My plate came with a corn muffin and a buttermilk biscuit too which they make from scratch. If you're not American and you're reading this then a biscuit in the States is much like an English dumpling in some ways. Golden, buttery, fluffy, etc, and just all around delicious. Anyhow, they're super tasty and make you want to "slap your Mama"! (See above video.)
 The service at this particular "barrel" was just fantastic. really great staff which always makes your meal nicer. Seriously, who wants to be served by a grumpy waitress/waiter? In fact, the staff were so nice that they let me have a photo in their kitchen! How cool is that?
 So, many thanks, "Cracker Barrel", another happy customer!


 P.S. I liked those biscuits so much I took some back to the motel! Where's my Mama...
Myself and the big boss, Stephen




My wonderful waitress who constantly had a huge smile
on her face




I really like biscuits!



























Back Tracking to Previous Post, "Billings, MT: Golden Corral Buffet"

 My apologies, everyone. I neglected to put in the most important picture from that post a few days ago. This is me with one of the gentleman who worked in the grill section of the buffet. 









"To glorify my Savior, Jesus Christ, the Creator 
of the universe and spread further abroad His glorious gospel." - Yours Truly

1 comment:

  1. :) I didn't realize you liked biscuits so much.. they are great. My favorite recipe for biscuits is in your book: Baking Powder Biscuits. ;)

    ReplyDelete